About Babylon Yacht Club
Committed to Our Members
Babylon Yacht Club was founded in 1903 for two purposes, “…to encourage members to become proficient in the handling of their yachts,” and “…to promote sociability and recreation among its members.”
The Babylon Yacht Club is a private club. Prospective members must be sponsored by two current members of the club. Membership is granted by the Board of Governors following an application and interview process.
The Babylon Yacht Club was established in 1903. Our sailing history dates back to 1904, and our first 4th of July Regatta was held in 1905. In 1906, our members helped form the Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association.
Our location “at the foot of Eaton Lane” is the third home of the Club since first established in 1903. In the mid-1920s, a real estate firm which was developing Sequams Colony offered the Babylon Yacht Club the land on which it now sits, in exchange for the land the Club then sat on at the Babylon Dock. The clubhouse was moved by barge across the cove to what has been our home now for almost a century.
The Club has withstood the test of time thanks to our dedicated members. In more recent history, the BYC sustained major damage from both Hurricane Gloria and Superstorm Sandy; however, thanks to our members and their love for our club – the Babylon Yacht Club stands today better than ever on what could arguably be considered one of the most perfect spots on the Bay.
We continue to proudly serve the Great South Bay Community and seek to provide our members with an environment where they can learn, relax and have fun – on and off the water.